Though not my official title, I am a part-time dissertation coach at the University of Maryland. On my off days, I also work with students from other universities as well. Many colleges, universities and students do not really know what a dissertationon coach does. I am a mentor, advisor, therapist, friend, cheerleader, teacher, reader, editor, and advocate for the many students that I work with. I am not the expert on the dissertation topic but, I push up my sleeves, get my hands dirty, and help out where and when a student needs and asks for my help. Some frustrated advisors send their students to me when they feel that the student’s problems are beyond the scope of an advisor. It is not a glamorous job but I like it. I have found my calling, my passion and more importantly my niche. As we near graduation this month I am reminded that I love this job.
- My advisor said write a short proposal but I have never written a proposal and don’t know what that entails
- I have been waiting for my advisor to say that I should start working on my dissertation but she hasn’t said anything. It’s been 8 years
- I am getting near to finishing my dissertation and my boyfriend broke up with me
- I need to move out of my house while my boyfriend is a work because of the restraining order I filed
- I am defending two weeks but my mother got arrested and I need to go home, should I tell my advisor?
- My advisor will not provide feedback what should I do
- I watch TV all day, I know I should be working on my dissertation but..
- I don’t want to spend my days and nights working non-stop on my dissertation
- I am 20 days from defending and my advisor emails me that when I finish I should take a writing course
- One committee member does not want to set a defense date
- I have no idea what my advisor wants, she won’t be specific
- Although I defended my proposal I want to change my topic
- I don’t want my advisor at my defense because I don’t really feel that he has helped me that much
- I want to quit…
- I want to graduate but my advisor has never graduated anyone yet—she’s not even considering the possibility
You might consider hiring a dissertation coach because completing the dissertation isn’t just about writing.