ALL EDITING PRICES ARE BASED ON A DOUBLE SPACED DOCUMENT WITH A 12 SIZE FONT & 1-1.5 INCH MARGINS.
I got high marks in all of my college preparatory English classes, but hit a sticking point in my freshman year of college, when a visiting instructor told me that my writing skills were lacking. I was devastated by her negative assessment, and my confidence in my writing waned.
The following semester, I finished my freshman writing sequence at another university. Despite the fact that I wrote my essays on the bus rides to and from class, I was able to achieve straight A’s. Still, my confidence in my writing remained shaken.
If you have suffered a similar negative experience, it is important to understand that time and continued practice will heal this wound. Writing is like everything else: the more you practice, the better you get. It is important to move past any confidence issues you have by just writing and writing more. Another good way to build confidence is to share your writing with trusted confidantes who will appraise, constructively criticize and help edit your words.
While I highly recommend using a third party to edit your work, it’s important to find the right person. Your thesis/dissertation will be written for a highly intellectual community, many of whom are experts in your field. As such, the editor you choose must be practiced in an academic style of writing that will appeal to this audience.
Evaluate potential editors by having them edit a few pages of your work to get a feel for their style. It’s helpful to provide samples of journal articles in your field, and to advise the editor of your style requirements and expectations. Some editors only edit for grammar and specific MLA or APA formatting issues. Others edit for overall continuity, and will check to ensure that the paragraphs are in the proper sequential order, and whether a particular argument makes sense.
PhDCompletion.com dissertation editing service is designed to meet the needs of thesis and doctoral students who are seeking absolute clarity in their writing. While a dissertation is the capstone of your academic career, it is also the beginning of a research career. It also represents years of arduous work and preparation. Let’s face it; people including graduate students make mistakes. When it comes to writing your dissertation, students often make LOTS of minor mistakes. While some writers struggle with grammar, others find it difficult to control being too “verbose.” Still, some aren’t quite sure what to include…and what to leave out. Some of the best writers and smartest PhD students struggle with formatting the dissertation based their university’s requirements, even when they have a template. Having your dissertation and or proposal professionally edited is a good idea because it also aids committees and advisors by presenting your research in organized, coherent, and readable language.
When writing a dissertation it’s important to have another pair of eyes on the final product before you hand it over to the committee. Our detailed oriented dissertation editing service emphasizes the following several elements of the editing process:
• Communication: We provide consultation because we want you to have peace of mind. We understand that you might be on a tight deadline. With good editorial feedback, you can see which words, phrases, and key words are working, which aren’t. Good writing takes practice; with an editor you can get ideas on how to improve your work. We consider communication an essential element of a quality editing service.
• Structure, Organization and Coherence: From the planning of the project to the development of a theoretical position, clear ideas and a clear vision of what is involved in this phase of editing your thesis, proposal, or dissertation. We provide the dissertation help you need to make progress. Even if you know what you want to write, it may not be clear to the people reading the document. In this phase of editing, we add paragraph transition phrases, which strengthens the link between ideas, helping to ensure that your argument provides coherent support for your ideas.
• Clarity, Logic & Grammar: Sometimes ideas that seem clear slip away when you try put pen on paper. Your proposal, thesis or dissertation should be free of errors in grammar, spelling, logic, subject-verb agreement, pronoun referents, run-on and fragmented sentences, weak or improper verb usage, and other fatal grammatical mistakes.
• Academic Style & Voice: When writing a thesis or dissertation, your style should be formal and similar to what you find in the scholarly journals of your discipline. Review journal articles in your discipline to get a sense of what is expected in terms of structure, style and language. To make your work more consistent, but also more professional, as editors we work diligently to give your work a formal academic voice, by eliminating passive voice, awkward or vague word choices and phrases and replacing them with more formal and precise ones.
• Proofreading: Because we focus on the details, before we return the document to you, we review your dissertation a final time to ensure that all errors in logic, spelling, agreement, and punctuation have been removed.
Specific Types of Work
- Basic Copy editing
- Heavy Copy editing
- Developmental Editing
We realize that even with a template some students struggle with formatting the document to their university’s strict formatting requirements. Thus, in addition to dissertation editing, we offer a dissertation formatting service ($2 dbl sp/pg.), which prepares your document according to the latest APA, MLA, AP, and Turabian/Chicago manuals of style, or another style that you request. We can also work to meet the university-specific guidelines/template our clients send us. Combined with editing, our formatting service returns a clean draft of your dissertation with headings, citations, preliminary pages, and references in pristine form ready for your final review.
For those writers confident in their writing who would like their dissertations double-checked for spelling, agreement, and punctuation, we offer a dissertation proofreading service ($4/pg.) This service focuses on catching the errors in spelling, verb tense, and punctuation that a word processor’s grammar and spelling check routinely ignores.
HEAVY COPY EDITING
Heavy copy editing moves beyond grammatical errors and focuses mainly on logic, clarity and alignment with the research questions, theoretical framework, and methodology. This type of editing provides critical feedback in areas where there might be lapses in reasoning, logic or persuasion. Sometimes students want an outsider’s perspective prior to submitting the work to the advisor/supervisor. In sum, the writer wants to know “does it make sense?” ” are the connections logical?” “Did I miss something?”. This service requires more time and energy of the editor but it will make a better impression with your advsior/supervisor if he or she does not have to address errors in persuasive writing. The charge is $8.00 per double space page.
To place an inquiry regarding dissertation editing for a no-obligation price estimate and more information about ordering, please feel free to contact us through our Contact page. We look forward to hearing from you!
Academic editing includes editing for your thesis, dissertation, proposal, journal articles, research papers, fellowship applications or dissertation formatting. Although rates vary considerably depending on the nature of the work, the time frame of the assignment, the degree of special expertise required, and other factors, the industry standard for a manuscript page is a firm 250 words, $4.00 per page.
Fees & Turn-around time
Dissertations and large or particularly well-written documents take time. My staff can read & edit about 10 pages per hour. Still we prefer 14 days to edit a document. Fees depend on your document’s size, initial quality, complexity, intended use, and turnaround time.
Rush jobs require that we move your document ahead of others. Thus, there are additional fees for turnaround times that are less than 14 days and less than 10 days.
Types of Editing Services
- Thesis Editing
- Dissertation Editing
- Journal Articles
- Research Papers
- Fellowship Applications
- Dissertation Formatting