Saturday November 11, 2011 at UMBC, I will be giving my most popular workshop, titled, Practical Steps to Completing Your Master’s Thesis or Dissertation“. The workshop will cover a wide variety of elements, including how to: choose advisors and committees; avoid common mistakes and political missteps; anticipate hidden costs; set deadlines; organize the project and achieve optimal time management; create a calendar of milestones; overcome procrastination and stay motivated to finish; and defend a thesis or dissertation.
TADA!Thesis and Dissertation Accomplished was developed based on this workshop; this 2 hours workshop provides most of the foundational activities presented in the Dissertation house.
Previous comments from attendees at the workshop:
- Enjoyed listening to some do’s and don’t as well as tips for thesis and communicating with committee and advisors.
- I also found helpful the steps to “How many pages per day.”
- Very encouraging and personal lecturer. Lot’s of good information in regards to the dissertation defense and preparation. …would recommend the seminar for the future.
- Great seminar! There were useful tools provided to start my dissertation. Helped to answer some questions that I was worried about asking my advisor. Good to have knowledgeable people outside of university/committee that can help. Provided info not freely given. Helped me to realize my advisor’s role ; boy was I expecting too much.
- I might be a first year student but the seminar is still helpful in a way considering that some of the strategies discussed are applicable to semester projects and even homework.
- Thank you for offering this workshop. If found your suggestions very helpful, particularly the 15 minute projects and raw journaling suggestions. Often the small details of writing the dissertation such as keeping a methods journal and other small steps which add up to the finish product often end up tripping me up and overwhelming me. All of these suggestions were very helpful. Thank you again for your valuable suggestions.
- Although I am not that far along in the progress toward my PhD, this was a very useful seminar. It gave plenty of information on tools that I will use later in my career. This was a great use of funds and all graduate students should come to one of these.
- I think this seminar was very useful because it has re-motivated me to get my dissertation done. It has also reminded me to get small manageable goals and work on any little part to get my dissertation complete.
- This was a good workshop. I am already familiar with some of the writer’s block techniques and working with an advisor. The price for printing completed work and cost of research definitely helped. The website link and books to read was also helpful.
- While a lot of this was “common sense” stuff it is very useful to have it all in one place and in the right context. I think some more people should be encouraged to hear this early on, not just after candidacy and then hear it again when they are ready to start writing.
- This was great very inspirational. Got me thinking ahead in organizing my thoughts and agenda. Will use this advice when starting my dissertation and even proposing. This is an excellent talk for any graduate student no matter what the background our progress he/she has made so far. Bravo. Bluntly it is a wakeup call for people who need a shock of common sense to get them going.
- Dr. Carter point out great things I hadn’t thought about before (traditions, being professional at all times). As a 1st year student, this allows me to organize my track through graduate school.
- I felt as though the seminar was very informative. Dr. Carter has proved to be a great resource that I will utilize in the future. I learned a lot of new information and got a lot of my questions answered before the Q & A section began. This was a great presentation.
- I enjoyed the presentation today and found it very helpful.
- Very helpful session and informational
- I wish I attended this workshop 2 years ago; I could have planned things better. Thank you very helpful
- Info very useful and helpful practical tips and suggestions
- I didn’t have any comments beyond this was a great session; I found the information to be quite useful. Look forward to being able to utilize Dr. Carter’s help in the coming year.